As we have been studying "Breathe" over the last few weeks, I've had quite a few women message me asking what resources I use to study Scripture and write these studies. When I first started going deeper in Bible study, I sought out Gospel-centered resources that would point me to Jesus. It was this pursuit that watered the idea of creating the Give Me Jesus quiet time journal for women as well as the Well-Watered Women study and blog series I did a few years ago. Today I wanted to briefly share a few online resources that I use, most of which are completely free!
It is important to note, though, that any commentaries should be used after you have studied Scripture yourself and spent time in the text. It can be easy to replace God's Word with the words of man, but I want to challenge you to put His Word first, always. It is His Word that never fails and endures forever. God can use commentaries to bring light to His Word, but these should only be supplemental texts that point us back to the Word and the hope of the gospel! As Jen Wilkin said in Women of the Word, "The God of the Bible is too lovely to abandon for lesser pursuits." May we pursue Him with every ounce of energy we've got.
Free Online Bible Study Tools:
- Blue Letter Bible is an excellent source to go deeper in Bible study. You can search specific passages and find in-depth studies, messages, and devotionals. I use Blue Letter Bible to listen to Elisabeth Elliot talks that were recorded! As far as I know, this is one of the only places you can hear her messages, and I highly recommend listening to them like you would a podcast.
- StudyLight is another resource that I use to dig into the Hebrew/Greek meaning of words, as well as different side-by-side translations.
- Precept Austin is a great resource in studying as well! The creators of this website have taken time to compile different commentaries for passages of Scripture.
- Bible Hub is another excellent resource to see different translations next to each other as well as cross references.
- Grace To You, Revive Our Hearts, and Desiring God are online ministries led by John MacArthur, Nancy Leigh Wolgemuth, and John Piper that I use in studying Scripture and seeking wisdom.
- Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee - I have the old printed commentaries in my office and love using these! They are simple, straightforward, and always point to Christ! You can find them for free online as well.
I also use Logos, Faithlife, and the Holman Christian Study Bible when writing and studying Scripture. The Lord has used these resources and teachers to stir my affections for Christ and make me even hungrier for the Word of God. May we always seek Him above any other thing and come to His Word that satisfies our souls forever.